The following websites contain on-line versions of Groome’s Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland and Samuel Lewis Topographical Dictionary of Scotland.
Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland, Francis H Groome
Balquhatston, an estate, with a mansion, in Slamannan parish, Stirlingshire, adjacent to the Slamannan station and Slamannan village. Coal of excellent quality is largely mined on the estate, and sent to Edinburgh and other places.
Banknock, a collier hamlet in Denny parish, Stirlingshire, 2 1/4 miles SW of Denny town. Three seams of coal here yield large output both for consumption in the neighbourhood and for exportation. At Banknock House, Rosa Bonheur, the distinguished French animal painter was a guest in 1856.
Blackbraes, a village in the W of Muiravonside parish, Stirlingshire, 3 1/4 miles SSW of Falkirk. At it are a public school and a parish church, which, built at a cost of £860, serves also for Shieldhill in Polmont parish. Pop. (1861) 507, (1891) 510.
Burnside, a village comprising Wallacetown in Polmont parish, and Standrigg in Muiravonside parish, Stirlingshire.
Carron, a village in Larbert parish, Stirlingshire, adjacent to the NE side of Carron Iron-works, near Carron river, 2 miles N by W of Falkirk. It has a money order post office and a school. Pop. (1891) 1208.
Carronshore, a village in Larbert and Bothkennar parishes, Stirlingshire, on the left bank of the river Carron, 1 mile ENE of Carron Iron-works, and 2 miles WNW of Grangemouth. Connected with Carron Ironworks by a double-lined railway, it was formerly the port of the Carron Company; but has, in main degree, been superseded by Grangemouth. Yet it is still used for the landing of ironstone and lime, and for drydock repairs; and is accessible, in ordinary tides, by vessels of 150 tons burden. It has a post office, a mission station of the Church of Scotland, and a public school, which, with accommodation for 399 children, had (1891) an average attendance of 336, and a grant of £335,9s. 6d. Pop. (1871) 966, (1881) 962, (1891) 1076.